My grandfather, Bill Nutter, was a quiet hero from right here in Martinsville, Indiana. I still keep his old Marine Corps photos on my desk, along with that faded V-mail letter he wrote home during the Battle of Iwo Jima, dated March 4, 1945. In it, he tried to sound cheerful for my grandma Harriet, mentioning he was on a "little rock" called Iwo Jima, how things were "swell" all things considered, and how much he loved getting their pictures to keep in that battered frame. Reading those words now, knowing what was really happening, the savage fighting, the black sand, the caves full of danger, I can only imagine the strength it took to shield his family from the worst of it.
After graduating from Martinsville High School in 1940, he
spent a year at DePauw University before enlisting in the United States Marine
Corps. Like so many young men of his generation, he answered the call without
hesitation. He served in the Pacific and was there on Iwo Jima from February 19
to the end of March 1945, one of the bloodiest battles in Marine Corps history.
He came home, built a life, married my grandma, raised a family, including my mom,
and lived a good, steady life in the town he loved. But he carried those
memories quietly. He passed away in 1989 when I was 18, and I've missed him
every day since. There are so many things I wish I could ask him now, about the
war, about what it felt like to stand on that volcano after the flag went up on
Mount Suribachi, about the buddies he lost.
I remember and thank those who have sacrificed so much by
serving our country, not just my grandpa, but every veteran who faced the
unknown so the rest of us could live free. His service, his letters, his
pictures; they're a reminder to me of what real courage looks like: not loud or
boastful, but enduring, loyal, and deeply tied to family and home. He taught
me, without ever saying it outright, what it means to be proud of where you
come from and grateful for the freedoms we enjoy.
Semper Fi, Grandpa. I carry your story with me, and I'm
honored to be your grandson. Thank you…for everything.





No comments:
Post a Comment